Activity 8 FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY at SoFA MANILA | Understanding The Fundamentals of Fashion Photography

 Last week, my class did an in-class photo activity session where we took photos AND styled our model. The objective of the activity is to strengthen the student's perception in incorporating the 2 fundamentals of what I teach: Art and Fashion.




An important factor in making and producing fashion photographs is understanding how important it is for the artistic and fashion element to be present in each of their photos. This is the one thing that separates an ordinary picture(technically good but lacks the 'bite' and recall needed) to a well conceptualized fashion image.

The core of our learning is to emphasize on each of my student's style in photography, the definitive message of their styled look to our model and to 'portray' a story from the looks they have come up with. I see a lot of people, taking the path, or maybe just wanting to become a fashion photographer, and seem to miss out on this important foundation.



The photo above is the look i styled(and photographed) with found objects from the selection of styling materials I brought for the class. The activity required each student to form a look that would best tell the 'story' of their photo. With a limited time and on-the-spot creative thinking, they are required to 'take advantage' of the face paint, fabrics, art materials, headpieces and lots of accessories and use it for styling. This activity is to gauge them on how the creative process takes place from the initial point of seeing the styling materials, to the actual execution of styling and taking photograph, a fun activity every fashion photographer should practice every now and then in discerning on 'When is too much TOO MUCH?" or "What is my style story?" and "How can I tell a story through a single fashion photograph?."

My Story for this: The Habagat Rains Headpiece.

-----------


Here are some of my students taking each of their turn taking photos from he look, starting with RG, while he check on his previews:



Below, Hannah takes her turn in getting photos from the same look, I wonder on what her interpretation is on this one?




Tippi here, with the look styled by RG, trying out on some alternate angles with Gugle(Our model for that day):




... and showing previews too:




How about this look styled by Tippi? ... KABOOM




I brought some familiar headpieces from past editorials I shot... for this, the Brain Headpiece and the the foam putty:




We have shot a total of 5 looks from the activity, the rest will just be a surprise, and I can't wait to see the final images from them. The end of term for my students in my class is approaching, in fact, this week, it is their Finals Week, so for that... We will be having our Finals Activity next. Thanks and Keep shooting! :)


E



No comments:

Post a Comment